This protein shake is refreshing, incredibly filling, and has a new little ingredient that gives it a perfect, thick milkshake-y texture – xanthan gum! Have you tried it? It can be found in the baking or gluten free/organic aisle of your grocery store and it’s sold in either bags or individual packets. It’s a plant-based thickening agent and though it can be a little pricey, a tiny bit goes a LONG way! I used a mere 1/4 tsp in this shake and it thickened right up!
I usually avoid citrus in my breakfast shakes due to some unpleasant acid reflux that it causes, but I didn’t have any trouble with this one. I’m guessing all of the other less acidic ingredients helped to balance things out!
Have you tried xanthan gum to thicken your shakes and smoothies? Let me know in the comments!
|Orange Banana Protein Shake|| |
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 orange
- ½ frozen banana
- Couple splashes of vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder of choice
- 3-4 cubes of ice
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum (optional, for thickening)
- Orange zest to taste and garnish
- Zest the orange and then discard the peel and separate the fruit into segments.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and frothy.
- Garnish with additional zest if desired.