Confession: I made this recipe eight months ago and I’m just getting around to sharing it. You’re going to laugh at the reason for my tardiness. When I first prepared this dish I was at the beginning of this pregnancy and also at the beginning of my morning sickness and food aversion. White potatoes happened to be one of the food items that I couldn’t eat, couldn’t smell, couldn’t look at, couldn’t think about.
I unloaded the photos from the memory card and there they sat on my hard drive. Though I have felt better for a long time, I still have a few weird food issues that will give me “flashbacks” to when I couldn’t handle much food at all, and so it’s taken me until now to be able to pull out these photos and share this recipe. But now the time has come!
It’s a good thing, too, because this really is a great recipe to keep around. If you have some leftover mashed potatoes and a box of frozen spinach, you can have these on the table for a tasty and not-too-terribly-unhealthy side dish in no time. They are made in a standard muffin tin and are great for kids – their little hands can pick them up and bite right into them. My son loved them!
|Cheesy Spinach Mashed Potato Cups|| |
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained thoroughly
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup shredded cheese of your choice, plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Make sure that all of the extra water has been drained out of the thawed spinach. Mix all ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
- Scoop mixture into muffin cups and top with extra cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the sides of the cups turn light brown.
Want to save this recipe for later? Here’s a pretty Pinterest-ready image to use. Just hover your mouse over the image and click the Pin button!