This is an ideal one skillet meal if you are looking for a low calorie dinner, a low carb recipe, or if you just like easy weeknight dinner ideas that taste good!
If last year was all about spiralized vegetables, this year it’s all about riced veggies, especially cauliflower. Cauliflower has been a long-standing favorite substitute for bread and pasta for those wanting to watch the calories and carbs. You can also rice other vegetables such as carrots and broccoli for some extra interest. The process for ricing your own vegetables can be fussy, so I like to use the frozen kind. Frozen riced vegetables are pretty much the greatest thing since sliced bread as far as convenience and ease of us. Plus, they taste SOOO good!
I like to use the frozen Green Giant Riced Veggies (not sponsored!) because I’ve been able to find them everywhere and they come in lots of different varieties! For this recipe I’ve chosen to use the Cauliflower Medley which also includes yellow onions, green onions, peas, and carrots. You can use plain riced cauliflower if that’s all that is available in your area, but see my notes on the recipe for how to replace some of the flavor lost by not using the medley.
I’ll be keeping a couple of bags of these riced veggies in my freezer from here on out, because I already have a list of ideas for how to use them. So good! Enjoy!
|Chicken & Riced Vegetable One Skillet Meal|| |
- 1lb chicken breast tenders
- Mrs. Dash Chicken Grilling Blend, to taste*
- ⅓ cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 12oz bag frozen Green Giant Riced Veggies, Cauliflower Medley**
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- ½ cup reduced fat sharp cheddar, shredded
- Spray a large skillet or saute pan with cooking spray and place on medium heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken tenders with Mrs. Dash (or seasoning blend of choice) and place onto the hot pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until tenders are cooked through.
- Remove to separate plate and cut into chunks.
- Lower heat to medium-low and de-glaze the pan using a few tablespoons of the chicken broth. Add both bags of the riced veggie medley and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes or until heated through and softened. Add a little chicken broth until moistened as desired (you may not use all of the broth - you don't want it to have too much liquid).
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet and stir together. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the mixture evenly and cover for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted.
** the riced veggie medley blend already contains onions and green onions, which is nice for adding some built-in flavor. If you can only find plain riced cauliflower, I recommend adding some minced onion (cook in the pan after chicken has been removed) or onion powder and you can serve the dish topped with sliced green onion if you want
Save this recipe for later! Hover your mouse over the image below and click the Pinterest button that appears!