Never Miss A Post!
Free Email Update When I Share Something New
All the flavors of a favorite Americanized Chinese takeout appetizer in… a pizza?! Someone shared a recipe for a version of crab rangoon pizza on a local Facebook group that I belong to, and I was intrigued. Quickly, several other members tried it and shared photos of their own results, and everyone agreed it was a life-changing pizza.
Welp, that did it, I knew I had to make a version for myself. I was shocked at just how good this was!!
What is a Crab Rangoon?
Commonly found on the takeout menus of popular Chinese restaurants, a crab rangoon is, typically, a deep-fried wonton wrapper stuffed with a mixture of crab, cream cheese, green onion, and other spices.
What does Crab Rangoon Pizza Taste Like?
Honestly? It tastes exactly like a crab rangoon. It’s so good!! The pizza is topped with identical filling ingredients – cream cheese, crab, green onion, and Worcestershire sauce – drizzled with a spicy-sweet chili sauce (typically used for dipping crab rangoon). You even get the crunch from including crunchy wonton strips on top! There’s also lots of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, of course, because… pizza.
I started with a 16oz ball of fresh pizza dough that I purchased from the bakery section of my local Kroger. Most grocery stores will sell pizza dough like this, though you’re welcome to use your favorite homemade dough or any other packaged dough for a 14″ (large) pizza. I pressed my crust out to somewhere between thick and thin, but again, you can make the crust to your preference.
To add some extra texture and crunch to the crust, I sprinkled a small amount of yellow cornmeal over the dough before par-baking. This is an optional step and you can skip it if you want.
Do I Have To Use Fresh Crab?
Fresh crab meat is not cheap. Y’all know this. I know this. So if you’re trying this recipe out for the first time, go ahead and use a good imitation crab instead. Nothing wrong with that, and you’ll get a good gauge for next time on whether you want to spring for the real stuff.
What About Those Wontons?
The pizza is topped with crunchy wonton strips, which are available premade at most grocery stores. If you can’t find them, you can fry your own by cutting wonton wrappers into strips and frying in hot oil on the stove.
This is a really unique pizza flavor and I know you all will enjoy it as much as we did!
How to Make Crab Rangoon Pizza
|Crab Rangoon Pizza|| |
- 16oz fresh raw pizza dough, room temperature
- 2 TBS yellow cornmeal, optional
- 6oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan, divided
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5oz flaked crab meat, fresh or imitation
- 6oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fried wonton strips for topping
- Sweet chili sauce for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a large pizza pan and press dough out into a 14" disc. Sprinkle crust with cornmeal, if using. Bake in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes or until starting to turn slightly golden.
- In a mixing bowl, combine room temperature cream cheese, half of the green onions, half of the Parmesan, Worcestershire sauce, and crab meat.
- When the crust has been par-baked, drop dollops of crab mixture around the crust and let it sit for a minute to heat up the cream cheese and help it be easier to spread. Use a spatula or the back of a big spoon and spread the mixture evenly across the crust, leaving a small lip around the edge if desired.
- Top pizza with remaining Parmesan, Mozzarella, and the remaining green onion. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until crust is nicely browned and cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove pizza from oven and drizzle with sweet chili sauce and top with crunchy wontons.
Get Updated When I Share Something New
Do you like this recipe and want to be able to find it later? Use the image below to Pin to your Pinterest boards or share with your friends on social media using the buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you for visiting my blog!