Halloween is the best. It really is. I love every facet of the holiday – Jack o’ lanterns, candy, spooky movies, haunted houses and hayrides, going all out decorating our house for the neighborhood kids, and giving out candy to all of the adorable Trick Or Treaters! For all of us food lovers out there, there’s an endless way to get creative in the kitchen to add a little spooky theme to your family dishes this month. These dark chocolate marshmallow waffles are as wonderful to eat as they are to look at and the theme can be updated for any holiday!
Peeps have come along way from the yellow chicks sold around Easter. Now there are different flavors and shapes available for all holidays and, oh my gosh, these Halloween ones are just so darn cute! They’re perfect for fun Halloween baking projects.
Chocolate waffles? Sounds a little too sweet for breakfast, doesn’t it? I thought so too until I decided to play around with a few different recipes. Using dark chocolate cocoa and chopped semi-sweet chocolate paired with just a touch of brown sugar you get a fantastic treat that is not too sweet, letting the bold flavor of the dark chocolate shine.
Folding beaten egg whites into the batter is the secret to the fluffy texture of these waffles. It is so worth this extra step!
To decorate, you can top a single waffle with the marshmallow Peeps in any decide you want.
Aren’t they precious? The dark chocolate color of the waffles is such a festive contrast to the bright orange Jack O’ lanterns.
If you want, you can layer with a second waffle that you can then slice like a cake – wouldn’t this be a fun new way to serve a breakfast classic?
We have a very deep waffle maker and when we fill it all the way up with batter we get these insanely thick and indulgent waffles. This recipe yielded 2 full size and one half-size waffle for me, but your yield may vary depending on the type of waffle maker that you use
You can also just stack the individual waffle wedges like this to make a nice tall pile of chocolate-y and marshmallow-y goodness.
It’s breakfast, trust me.
I love that because the waffles themselves are not overly sweet, you don’t even need to add syrup! The melted sugared marshmallow Peeps add just enough sweetness to balance everything out. Of course, if you have some sweet lovers in your family, go ahead and drizzle on some syrup as well.
|Dark Chocolate Marshmallow Halloween Waffles|| || |
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 TBS packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, separated at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- In a bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- Gently add the dry ingredients to the wet in 2-3 additions, stirring lightly until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in chopped chocolate pieces.
- In a clean bowl, use a hand mixer to whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Very gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Add batter to a heated and greased waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer's instructions (will vary on size and depth of waffle iron or maker).
- Top hot waffles with Peeps and serve immediately. If layering, allow the waffles to cool completely so that the marshmallows don't immediately melt. Just before serving, heat the waffles in an oven set to 200F until the marshmallows begin to melt, or heat in microwave in 15 second bursts.
Peeps Halloween Prize Pack Giveaway!
Peeps is offering a giveaway to one of our readers! The winner of this contest will receive a prize pack full of awesome Halloween-themed Peeps goodies! The contest ends Sunday, October 25th at 11:59pm Eastern Time. Winners will be contacted via email.
Here’s how to enter:
- Leave a comment on this post and tell me what your Halloween costume will be. Or if you’re not dressing up, what would you WANT your costume to be? – mandatory
- Follow @ebrowniebites (me!) and @peepsbrand on Instagram – optional for an extra entry. Leave an additional comment telling me you’ve followed both accounts or are already a follower!
- Tweet about this giveaway! Make sure to use the hashtag #PEEPSONALITY and link to this blog post. Here’s a shortened link to use: INSERT LINK – optional for an extra entry. Leave an additional comment with a link to your tweet!
- Subscribe to our email updates! Find the sign-up box in the sidebar. – optional for an extra entry. Leave an additional comment telling me you’ve subscribed or that you are already a subscriber!
We were provided samples of some of the Halloween products from Peeps to put together a recipe for you.