I’m always up for creating and discovering easy dinner ideas that involve ingredients that are relatively healthy and that come together quickly. Casseroles are always up to the task and there’s so many different ways to make them.
One of my major preferences, though, when putting together a casserole? NO canned soups! This casserole uses milk and flour as a thickened base instead of the less-than-healthy canned condensed soups that make their way into so many casserole recipes. This casserole is just as easy as dumping in a can of soup, too, so it gets extra points for simplicity.
Oh, and what’s even better? My kids loved it without complaint, and any opportunity I get to load them up with some extra veggies, lean protein, and calcium is something to be grateful for in this house!
Go ahead and give it a try for dinner this week! Enjoy!
|Easy Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Casserole|| |
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 4oz jar pimentos, drained (see notes)
- 1 6oz jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- ¼ cup (generous) all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups milk (any variety)
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 12oz bag frozen cut broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- Approx 1.5 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast (about one medium breast)
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil and add chopped onion. Cook until mostly translucent and then add pimentos and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Slowly add the milk and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently to remove any flour lumps.
- Stir in both cheeses and mix until melted and smooth. Add frozen chopped broccoli and cooked chicken and cook 5 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish and add the veggie and chicken mixture. Sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs and bake for about 40 minutes until bubbly and the bread crumbs have browned
Save this recipe for later! Pin this casserole to your dinner boards! Hover your mouse over the image below and click the button that pops up.