January is the ideal time to make meringue cookies, especially if you live in the South, where making anything sensitive to the humidity in the air becomes a futile attempt during the summer months.
These light-as-air crispy meringue cookies are also perfect for all of the dieting and calorie counting that follows the holidays each year. Each cookie contains less than 15 calories with just enough sweetness to be a guilt-free after dinner treat.
The best part is that you likely already have the ingredients in your kitchen and if you’ve ever made any kind of meringue for topping your pies, then you will have no trouble making these cookies!
|Light and Crispy Almond Meringue Cookies|| || |
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tsp pure almond extract
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup crushed almonds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 225F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg whites, almond extract, and cream of tartar. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, and then increase mixer speed slowly add the sugar in several additions, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer meringue into a large pastry bag fitted with a jumbo star tip, or tip of choice. Pipe small dollops 1-1.5 inches in size onto parchment, refilling pastry bag as needed.
- Top meringues with crushed almonds. Bake for 1 hour, and then turn off the oven and allow the pans to stay in the warm oven for at least an additional hour. Store in an airtight container kept free of moisture.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest boards! Use the image below.