This is a recipe that was thrown together when I found myself with a kitchen full of little this ‘n that ingredients leftover from various other meals throughout the week. I love lightened up versions of cream-based soups and this one has all of the flavor as its higher fat and calorie cousin but is much easier on the waistline. We made this on a cold weekend evening and it really hit the spot. I hope you enjoy!
|Lighter Chicken and Rice Soup|| |
- 3 chopped carrots
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 1 small chopped onion
- 3 cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbs Smart Balance spread or similar
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 2 cans of broth, rice, and veggies to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- In another pan, melt Smart Balance spread and add flour and season with salt and pepper.
- Add last can of broth and whisk to break up any lumps.
- Cook until thick and bubbly and then stir in milk.
- Add milk mixture to veggie rice mixture and stir in the chicken.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes until thick.
Want to save this recipe for later? Use this image below for Pinterest! Just hover your mouse over the photo and click “Pin it!”