Delicious Chinese takeout isn’t too high up on the list of foods that fit into a low or slow carb lifestyle. Sometimes, though, you just really want to dig into some delicious Asian dishes for their sheer comfort factor. But can you have the best of both worlds and indulge in these foods without derailing your progress? Yes, indeed! This low carb sesame chicken is easy, low carb, and can be served over a bed of cauliflower rice, especially my delicious low carb cauliflower fried rice. Amazing.
One of the best parts of sesame chicken is that thick, sweetened sauce that enrobes the chicken pieces. To lower the carbs, I sweetened my sauce using Swerve, my favorite low carb sweetener (not sponsored!) It works so well in cooking and baking, it’s natural, and it doesn’t have any weird chemical-y flavors. Now, you are welcome to use your favorite sweetener if you don’t have any Swerve, you may just need to taste and adjust the amount used to achieve the desired amount of sweetness.
This is on the table in less than 30 minutes and it’s so amazing. You can have your veggies steaming on the side while preparing the chicken and you’ll have a full, healthy meal ready to go.
Don’t you love finding healthier versions of favorite indulgent dishes? Me too. Enjoy!
|Low Carb Sesame Chicken (Just Like Takeout)|| |
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBS cornstarch
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 2 TBS sesame oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- 2 TBS Swerve sweetener
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 TBS sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- Season the chicken thigh pieces with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg with the cornstarch until completely combined - this may take a minute or two to get it all to come together. Add the chicken thighs and stir until all of the thighs are completely coated.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 TBS of the sesame oil on medium heat. Add the chicken thighs, leaving a bit of room in between each one, working in batches if necessary. They will stick together and steam instead of fry if too close. Cook on both sides until done, being gentle when flipping the pieces because you don't want to knock the breading off.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a bowl, mix together the remaining 1 TBS of sesame oil, soy sauce, Swerve, apple cider vinegar, ginger, sesame seeds, and xanthan gum.
- Add the sauce to the cooked chicken in the skillet and stir the pieces around to coat with the sauce. Allow to cook on low heat until sauce is warmed and has thickened slightly.
- Serve with steamed broccoli, cauliflower rice, mylow carb fried cauliflower rice, or any way you wish!
Pin this post for later! Use Pinterest to save this recipe to your dinner ideas boards. Hover your mouse over the image below and click the button that pops up.