Mmm, Monte Cristo sandwiches, so good for a brunch dish or just an anytime dish. It’s like grilled cheese and French toast had a baby. A really delicous baby.
Sorry, that just got weird. Regardless, this is a tasty dish that is not any more complicated than a grilled cheese but feels way more fancy and satisfying.
There are many different variations on a basic Monte Cristo sandwich. Different breads and cheese are used. Sometimes mayo is used, sometimes not. Sometimes ham is used, sometimes turkey, sometimes both, etc. There’s really no wrong way to create a great Monte Cristo sandwich.
For this recipe, I used slices of French bread (the cheap $1 loaves from your grocery store’s bakery will work great) spread with a very thin layer of honey mustard. The pairing of sweet and savory in a Monte Cristo sandwich is part of what made them so delicious, and I love the subtle extra bit of flavor from the honey mustard – yum!
These are so easy to pull together and make an ideal selection for a weekday dinner. The use of the French bread creates smaller sandwiches, so you can serve either 1 per serving with some fresh fruit and scrambled eggs (for extra protein) on the side, or make a meal out of several sandwiches. Enjoy!
|Mini Monte Cristo Sandwiches|| |
- 8 slices (1/4 or ½ inch slices, whichever you prefer) French bread
- Honey mustard for spreading
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, separated into halves
- 8 slices deli ham
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Raspberry or strawberry jam for serving
- Spread each slice of French bread with a thin layer of honey mustard. Top 4 slices with a ½ slice of Swiss cheese, 2 slices of ham, and then a second ½ slice of Swiss cheese. Place remaining slices of bread on top to create 4 sandwiches.
- In a bowl, beat together the egg, milk, and nutmeg.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Dip each side of sandwiches into the egg mixture, holding it there for a good 5 seconds to get a good soak.
- Place sandwiches into skillet and toast both sides until desired crispness.
- Serve with a very light dusting of powdered sugar and a raspberry or strawberry jam.
Do you like this recipe and want to share it with your friends? Consider pinning the image below to your Pinterest boards or sharing on other social media. Thank you so much for visiting my blog!