This oven baked pizza chicken has all of the flavors of a cheesy pepperoni pizza, but with more protein and less carbs. It’s time for more midweek pizza nights!
Baked chicken breasts have an annoying little habit of drying themselves out. You can combat that in this recipe by making sure to use the flat end of a meat tenderizer (I like to also put the chicken between plastic wrap) and pounding them flat. The chicken will cook faster and more evenly than it will if left in their natural shape, which tends to have a longer skinny end and a very thick end. Getting the middle of the thick end cooked all the way through means the thinner parts and outer portion of the chicken will be dry and tasteless by then. So, #1 lesson for this recipe (or any baked chicken breast recipe): pound ’em flat!
Serve this dish alongside a nice salad or your favorite veggies of choice. You could also bake up some breadsticks or rolls – yum! Enjoy!
- 1 package boneless, skinless chicken breasts (usually 3-4 breasts), trimmed and pounded flat
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ~ 20 slices turkey pepperoni (can use regular)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Generously season the pounded flat chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place side-by-side in a lightly sprayed baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, parsley, and garlic. Add a few shakes of salt and pepper, taste, and adjust accordingly. If your tomatoes taste too acidic, you can add a little sugar, Swerve, or sugar substitute of your choice to counteract it. Just add a tiny bit (1/4 tsp) at a time and taste until it tastes right to you!
- Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts and bake uncovered 25-35 minutes until the chicken is done.
- Remove dish from oven and set the oven to Broil. Cover the top with the cheese and top with pepperoni. Broil until cheese is melted and pepperoni has crisped up a bit.
Do you like this recipe and want to be able to find it later? Consider pinning it to your Pinterest boards or sharing on social media! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit!