This was one of those recipes I tried to use up some ingredients in my kitchen. I made these on a Sunday afternoon, but I imagine they’d be lovely in the morning with a cup of hot coffee.
Making bar treats is really enjoyable – mainly because they bake up so quickly! No switching out batches, and the flavor possibilities are endless.
Despite the amount of sugar in the recipe, I found that these weren’t overly sweet.
Your miles may vary, of course, especially considering the fact that I have a huge sweet tooth!
Give these a try and let me know what you think!
|Pear Apple Coconut Bars|| || |
- FOR THE CRUST
- 1 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, cold and cubed
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 medium pear, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet apple, peeled and diced
- ½ cup flaked coconut, plus extra for topping
- FOR THE CRUST:
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Combine the flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter with knife and fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press into pan.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- Beat together eggs, brown sugar and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and ginger.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in fruit and coconut.
- Pour over warm crust. Bake an additional 22-24 minutes or until golden brown.
- Switch oven to a low broil. Top pan with additional coconut and toast until tips of coconut are brown.