Easy, quick, kid-friendly meals have become a theme around our house lately. Our kids will readily eat chicken sandwiches and it’s a good way to get some protein in them, so I’ve been toying with ways of altering the flavors a bit and see how far I can go without them complaining, teehee.
But who would complain about pineapples and barbecue sauce? It’s a classic combination. You can put the chicken into your slow cooker in the morning and by the time dinnertime rolls around all you have to do is add the sauce and pineapples and you’re close to having dinner on the table.
You can use your favorite sauce, though one that is less sweet will create a good balance with the pineapple. I serve these with a baked sweet potato and a simple steamed green veggie. Enjoy!
|Slow Cooker Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sandwiches|| |
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1⅓ cup BBQ Sauce, or more to taste
- 1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 large red onion
- 8 hamburger buns, toasted
- Optional toppings: lettuce, Jack cheese
- Place chicken breasts in slow cooker and add enough water just to cover them. Add a few shakes of salt to the water.
- Place lid on cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Carefully drain the water, reserving about ¼ cup in the slow cooker. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add the BBQ sauce and pineapple and stir to combine. Taste and add more BBQ sauce as needed. Replace the lid and cook on high until the sauce is warmed through.
- While the sauce is warming, slice the red onion and cook them in a skillet with cooking spray or a little olive oil, if desired, or you can leave them raw if you prefer the crunch.
- Serve chicken on toasted buns with red onion slices. Optionally, you can add lettuce and Jack cheese.
Save this recipe to your Pinterest boards! Hover your mouse over the image below and click, “Pin it!”