I admit, we have fallen into a dinner slump in our house the last several months. We’ve slipped comfortably into a rotation of cooking the same handful of recipes over and over again, and to be honest, we’re both getting a bit bored! I decided it was time to start trying new recipes on a (hopefully) weekly basis to inject some new variety into our dinners. With the holidays approaching it’s difficult to stick to a consistently healthy diet, but making dishes that are both calorie-controlled and delicious can help with that willpower and prevent you from feeling deprived when surrounded by all of those Thanksgiving and Christmas goodies.
These spinach lasagna roll-ups are not only delicious, but also insanely easy to serve. The little individual rolls make it easy to measure portions. Just use a wide spatula to smack one onto your plate, and you’re good to go. They are also simple to make, which is always a plus when selecting weeknight meals, since time can often be a limiting factor to dinner plans.
I found this recipe on the SkinnyTaste blog, though I did make a few minor changes:
- I topped my roll-ups with colby jack cheese instead of mozzarella, because I had some in my fridge that was needing to be used.
- I threw together my own version of the tomato sauce, though Gina from SkinnyTaste links to an easy Pomodoro sauce that, if you have a few extra minutes, looks delicious! I simply used a big can of plain Hunt’s tomato sauce and seasoned it with oregano, basil, garlic, onion, and plenty of fresh ground black pepper. I didn’t measure exactly how much of each spice that I used, I just kept mixing and tasting until it was just right.
I’ll copy the recipe below as I prepared it, but if you want the original then just head over to SkinnyTaste!
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 10oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 15oz fat free ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- sea salt and fresh pepper
- 32oz can plain tomato sauce, seasoned to taste with oregano, basil, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper
- About 3oz of low fat/fat free shredded cheese of choice
- Boil lasagna noodles per instructions on the box. Drain. Lay noodles out flat on wax paper.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- In another bowl, mix tomato sauce with desired spices.
- Ladle 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a glass 9×13 baking dish.
- Press equal amounts of spinach mixture onto the full length of each lasagna noodle.
- Carefully roll up each noodle and place, seam side down, into the baking dish.
- Spoon remaining sauce over the top of the rolls and sprinkle with a small amount of shredded cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for about 40 minutes, or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.