It’s the second day of #blogtober! I will be putting up new content every day this month as well as hosting a giveaway at the beginning of each week! Have you seen this week’s giveaway for an adorable burlap fall banner? Click here to get the details!
Never miss a new post here on Brownie Bites!
It’s still in the 90’s around here but I can practically smell the cool weather wanting to make itself known, so I thought I’d help it along by trying out this dish from My Food & Family’s new recipe hub – a delicious, thick sweet potato and black bean chili that’s just the thing to kick off the season.
I made some alterations to the original recipe by omitting a couple of ingredients to make the chili more kid friendly (less spicy). This is a vegetarian recipe that uses pre-prepared frozen soy crumbles instead of beef, but you can feel free to substitute cooked ground beef if you want! This was my first time using soy crumbles, though, and I thought they were very tasty!
The original recipe recommends topping the finished soup with cilantro and sour cream, but if you’re following a vegan diet feel free to leave out the sour cream or use your favorite vegan substitute. With or without toppings, my family loved this chili! There’s also so many other fun recipes on Kraft Heinz’s new redesigned site – head over there and see if you spot anything that strikes your fancy.
One recipe makes a LOT of soup, so be prepared to have leftovers sticking around for a couple of days, though this is such a wonderful dinner that I doubt they’ll last that long! Enjoy!
|Vegan Sweet Potato And Black Bean Chili|| |
- Cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 lb. sweet potatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fat-free reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pkg. (12 oz.) BOCA Veggie Ground Crumbles
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream (omit for vegan, or use a vegan substitute) - for topping
- Heat large pot or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add onions; cook 5 to 7 min. or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add chili powder and cumin; mix well.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and sour cream, if using. Stir. Bring to boil; simmer on medium-low heat 25 to 30 min. or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in half the cilantro.
- Serve topped with sour cream or vegan substitute and remaining cilantro.
Want the original recipe from Kraft Heinz without my alterations? Find it right here!
Serving Size = 1 cup. Nutrition Facts do not include the additions of any toppings (sour cream, vegan substitute, etc)
Save this post to your recipe boards! Use the image below!