Almond flour scones with fresh lemon and blueberry, drizzled with a lemony glaze, offer a gluten free alternative to this wonderful breakfast pastry.
- 2 cups finely-ground almond flour, spooned and leveled + more as needed.
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 TBS lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBS unsalted frozen butter, grated
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 TBS honey
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar or Swerve confectioner (for sugar free)
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 TBS milk or heavy cream (or as needed for desired consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350F with the rack in the center position. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the almond flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt.
- Add the grated frozen butter to the bowl and stir it around until the pieces of butter separate and are evenly dispersed into the dry ingredients.
- Add the Greek yogurt, honey, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until just incorporated. If the dough seems loose (won't hold its shape), add in more almond flour 2 tablespoons at a time until it holds its shape when you push it around with a spoon. The dough should not be wet and should also not be too stiff. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Scrape the dough out onto the prepared baking sheet and press into a flat disc shape about 3/4" tall. Use a knife or bench scraper to cut into 8 equal wedges.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. If edges start to brown too much before the center is done, tent the outside edges with foil to prevent them from burning.
- Almond flour baked goods are extremely fragile when warm, so allow the scones to cool completely before trying to move them.
- While the scones are cooling, make the glaze by whisking together all 3 ingredients. If you want a thinner consistency, add more milk or cream. If you want it thicker, add more sugar/Swerve.
- Drizzle the glaze onto the scones and serve. Keep leftovers in the refrigerator.
See post above for freezing instructions.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins