- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 300F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl using a hand or stand mixer, beat together sugar, eggs, and almond extract until thick and pale in color.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture on low speed and then mix in coconut, cherries, and orange zest. The dough will be loose and wet.
- Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface and, using well-floured hands, knead lightly about 10 times. Place dough onto prepared baking sheet and shape into a loaf roughly 15x3 inches in size. Dough will be loose and may settle into a wider size after it has been shaped. Pat loaf down until it is about 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake ~40 minutes or until loaf is a golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes and then cut loaf diagonally into 22 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Place slices in a single layer on the same baking sheet (you can reuse the parchment paper) and bake for an additional 20 minutes, turning slices over halfway through.
- Remove slices from baking sheet and cool completely on a wire rack.