A quick, kid-friendly dinner idea! Lean beef cooked with onions and garlic gets mixed with ketchup and mustard, then topped with layers of cheese and crumbled bacon. Crispy tater tots complete the dish - tastes just like a bacon cheeseburger!
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 TBS yellow mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
- Approx 4 cups (half of a 32-oz bag) frozen tater tots
- Chopped dill pickles for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spray a deep 9-inch pie dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef with the onions, breaking the meat apart with a spatula as it cooks.
- Once the onions are soft, drain out most of the grease, add the garlic, and cook for 2 minutes more. Mix in the ketchup and mustard.
- Spread beef mixture into the bottom of the pie dish. Top with the crumbled bacon, then the shredded cheese, and then place the tater tots on top in a circular pattern.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until tater tots are browned and crispy. Serve warm topped with dill pickles, if using.
To make this recipe a little healthier, you can use the following substitutions: Use lean ground turkey, no-sugar added/organic ketchup, uncured bacon or turkey bacon, and organic and low-sodium varieties of tater tots.
Check the post contents for more tips and suggestions!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
Keywords: bacon cheeseburger, easy dinner, kid friendly, tater tots