- 4-5 medium sweet potatoes
- Olive oil for rubbing
- Butter for potatoes - about 1 tsp per potato
- About 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken breast (see notes), warmed
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- Toppings - chopped red onion, pickled jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, cole slaw, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Scrub sweet potatoes with water and pat dry. Carefully, prick the potatoes several times on all sides with a knife. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil and rub all over each potato. Place the potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and bake until the insides are very soft, 40-50 minutes.
- Cut open each potato, add about 1 tsp of butter per potato and use a fork to fluff up the flesh of the potato and mix in the butter.
- Mixed desired amount of barbecue sauce into the chicken. Top potatoes with chicken and any desired toppings.
You can use leftover chicken, but if you are making it fresh, my favorite way is to put raw, thawed chicken breasts into a slow cooker and cover with salted water. Cook on low for 4-5 hours and then remove from the water. The chicken will be soft and tender and will shred easily.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour