Bright and colorful sprinkle-loaded cookies that are perfectly soft and chewy with a lovely nostalgic flavor from almond and vanilla extracts. Funfetti, birthday cake, whatever you call it, you will love these!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup confetti sprinkles, divided
- Place the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix using a stand or hand mixer until pale yellow and fluffy. Don't rush this step - you want to be mixing for 5-7 minutes to make sure butter and sugar are properly creamed.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Mix until combined.
- In a second bowl, stir together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 2-3 additions, mixing on low speed after each addition until just combined.
- Mix in the sprinkles, reserving about 2 tablespoons for topping the dough balls.
- Use a standard cookie scoop to make rounded dough balls (I got about 16 balls out of a single recipe). Place the balls onto a plate, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and press down ever-so-slightly to flatten the tops of the balls. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chilled dough balls onto the parchment and press down the reserved sprinkles on the top. This will let some of the colorful sprinkles show on top after the cookies are baked.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes - the cookies will still appear light in color and slightly underdone. Remove from oven and allow to cool on the sheet for about 5 minutes, then move them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- If you need to bake a second batch, make sure to chill the remaining dough between bakes and let the baking sheet cool completely (or use a different sheet) before placing the dough onto the sheet.
- I love these confetti sprinkles!
- Freezing Instructions: see details above in this post for how to freeze these cookies baked or unbaked.
Keywords: sugar cookies, sprinkles, funfetti, birthday cake