Yields 4 dozen cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, constantly stirring until butter just starts to turn golden brown and gets foamy and bubbly - about 4 minutes. Immediately remove from heat, transfer to a bowl and cool in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cooled browned butter and sugar and beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Add egg yolk, vanilla and cardamom, and continue beating until combined.
- On low speed, gradually add flour until mixture is no longer crumbly and forms a dough.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies puff and start to turn light golden brown, and small cracks form on the surface.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool 1 minute. Roll cookies in powdered sugar while warm and again when completely cooled. Store between sheets of waxed paper in loosely covered container.