- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups crushed Pretzel Crisps
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 recipe of homemade caramel sauce (link in post)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8 glass or light metal casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Crush Pretzel Crisps however you like. You can use a food processor, or you can place them in a ziploc back and relieve a little stress with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer. I like to crush the pretzels in two parts, making one part almost a powder, while keeping some small pieces in the other part. This'll help the crust stick together.
- Combine melted butter with pretzels and press into the bottom of baking dish. Press evenly into the bottom. If pretzels seem loose, drizzle a bit of extra melted butter.
- In a bowl, beat together 1/2 cup of butter with sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla. Mix until combined.
- In a different bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined.
- Use a spatula to spread brownie batter over the top of the pretzel crust.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out almost clean (you want the brownies to be fudgy, not dry)
- Allow brownies to cool, and then drizzle with homemade caramel, top with an additional Pretzel Crisp, cut into bars, and serve!