Make these easy, flavorful caramelized mushrooms and onions that go well with so many different main dishes!
- 1 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms, rinsed and dried well
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 TBS butter
- small pinch of white sugar, optional
- In a large, wide-bottom saute pan, melt the butter on medium-low heat.
- Add the onions and mushrooms, spreading them out in the pan as best as you can. Cook until softened, tossing occasionally, then sprinkle on the pinch of sugar if using.
- Continue to cook, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the bottom doesn't burn.
- Onions and mushrooms will be done when they've achieved a nice dark color and aroma!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: caramelized onions, caramelized mushrooms, steak topper, hamburger topper