Using a simple method to make clarified butter, these simple roasted potatoes really shine with a crispy top and bottom and tender middle.
- 2-3 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/16" thick
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into chunks.
- Salt and pepper
- In a small saucepan over low heat, allow butter to melt. Wait until a layer of foam forms on top, then use a spoon to skim it off and discard.
- Allow butter to cook for several more minutes, and then ladle off the top layer and transfer to a small bowl. Discard milk solids and the more watery layer at the bottom of the saucepan.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Set a 9-inch skillet over medium high heat and add about 1 tablespoon of the clarified butter. Add 1/3 of the potato slices and cook until slightly browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with two more batches of potatoes, drizzling in extra butter as needed. Remove from heat.
- Layer potatoes in a spiral pattern on bottom of skillet. Brush on some clarified butter and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with single layers of potatoes, buttering and seasoning each one, until all of the potato slices are used.
- Place over low heat and cover with lid or a baking sheet. Allow to cook for about 12 minutes, then remove lid and transfer skillet to oven. Roast potatoes, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden and crispy and potatoes in the center are tendered (can slide a knife in the center to check)
- If needed, you can switch the oven over to high broil for the last 2-3 minutes to really get a nice golden crisp.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
- Cuisine: N/A