Easy to make and fast to prepare, these cheesy flavorful calzones will be one of your new favorite dinner ideas!
- 16oz premade pizza dough (see notes)
- 2 generous cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crispy and chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella, or as needed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Garlic powder, as needed or desired
- Preheat oven to 425F. Remove pizza dough from refrigerator and let sit on counter 15 minutes to soften. If your dough is already easy to work with while cold, you can skip this step.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, bacon, red onion, and ranch dressing. Add more dressing if desired.
- Cut pizza dough into 8 equal sections. Roll each section into a ball and press or roll out into a 6-inch circle.
- Sprinkle some mozzarella on one half of each dough circle, leaving a border of dough around the edges for sealing.
- Distribute chicken mixture on top of cheese layer, then top with a second layer of cheese. Add as much or as little cheese as you want.
- Fold over dough circles and seal the edges tightly by pinching with your fingers. Transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Brush each calzone with beaten egg and sprinkle lightly with garlic powder.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden and crispy. Keep an eye on it so they don't burn or get too browned. Serve warm.
My grocery store sells bags of pizza dough, 1lb each, in the bakery section. When I don't want to make my own dough, this is my favorite alternative over canned dough. You can also use your own favorite dough recipe!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven