Thick, creamy, and cheesy, this delicious broccoli cheddar soup has added chicken to make it even more filling.
- 4 TBS (1/2 a stick) unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
- 3 cups broccoli florets and stems, cut small
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped small
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a soup pot, melt the butter and add the onions, shredded carrots, and broccoli. Cook until softened.
- Add the broth and milk and heat until warm, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, add the flour and then add 1/4 cup of the warm soup. Whisk to remove any lumps.
- Return the flour slurry to the soup pot and stir. Continue cooking until thickened - this may take 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the shredded cheese and chicken. Stir until cheese is melted and chicken is warmed. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately with warm dinner rolls.
You can use white or yellow onions
Low fat milk options can be used, though the soup base will not be as rich and creamy.
You can cook the chicken however you like - bake it, boil it, or pan fry. You can also pull apart a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: easy dinner, filling soups,