This chicken casserole was inspired by its ubiquitous presence in the Netflix show, The Woman In The House Across The Street From The Girl In The Window. It's an easy, simple casserole reminiscent of a ground chicken meatloaf and topped with crispy buttered bread crumbs!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely-chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk, any kind
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs, divided
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and celery. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add onion mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add ground chicken, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, milk, egg, Worcestershire sauce, cheese, and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. Use clean hands to mix until combined.
- Spray a 1.5 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Add chicken mixture and press down gently until it reaches the edges of the pan and is even on top.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs with melted butter. Mix until combined, then sprinkle over the top of the chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F. If you need to crisp up the bread crumbs, switch the oven over to the broiler for the last few minutes of baking.
My version of Anna's Chicken Casserole was created taking some liberties on the version Anna is seen creating in the show. Please read the full blog post for the reason I chose to take it in this direction.
If you want a more "show accurate" (and simpler!) version of the casserole, there's a recipe in the blog post above that copies how Anna is shown cooking her casserole in the show. Pick the one that suits your fancy!
I found my Corningware Blue Cornflower 1.5 quart baking dish from a seller on eBay, as it is a vintage pattern and cannot be found new.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
- Cuisine: Copycat
Keywords: Copycat, netflix, chicken meatloaf, chicken casserole, easy dinner idea