- 1/2 stick (4 TBS) unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion, processed with food processor or finely minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 15oz can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (see notes)
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken (breast and thighs), skin removed, chopped small
- 1 generous cup frozen baby lima beans
- 1 generous cup frozen or fresh yellow corn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Soup/oyster crackers for serving
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter and then add the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, and then add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, barbecue sauce (add notes), Worcestershire, chicken, beans, corn, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together.
- Bring stew to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for about 2 hours until thickened as desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve with soda crackers.
Some people prefer their Brunswick stew to be less sweet. If you are using a sweeter BBQ sauce, start with only 1/2 cup and taste the mixture before adding more.
If you need to offset some sweetness, you can add apple cider vinegar a tablespoon at a time, tasting after each addition, to bring down the sweetness.
Recipe can be customized by adding ketchup or brown sugar for extra sweetness or using cooked pulled pork instead of chicken.
Soda crackers are a popular option for serving, though you can use any kind of bread (cornbread would be yummy) as well.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours