- 2 rolled refrigerated pie crusts at room temperature
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 8oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 TBS (heaping) dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 TBS ketchup
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Apprx 1 cup of shredded or sliced cheddar cheese (or other cheese of your choice)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray and place one of the pie crusts in the bottom, shaping it to the pan with your fingers. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the ground beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown the beef over medium heat until cooked through while breaking into crumbles with the spatula. Use a slotted spoon or spatula to transfer the beef to a bowl and set aside.
- Drain out most of the fat from the skillet, leaving a couple of teaspoons in the bottom. Add the chopped onion and cook until fragrant and tender.
- Add the canned tomatoes, pickles, ketchup, and dijon mustard to the onions and mix together. Return the cooked beef to the skillet, mix well, and allow to simmer 3-5 minutes. Give it a taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Place skillet mixture into the prepared pie crust and cover the top with cheese. Place the remaining pie crust on top of the cheese and crimp the edges together.
- Use a butter knife to cut a few steam vents in the top crust and then bake on the center rack of oven for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is a pretty golden brown.
- Remove pie from oven and re-open steam vents if they have closed. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes and then slice and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins