- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS taco seasoning
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups whole wheat rotini pasta
- 1 avocado, diced, pit and peel discarded
- Shredded cheese for topping, optional
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot on medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, then add the garlic and cook for one minute more.
- Add the ground turkey and break apart with a spatula, cooking until no more pink remains.
- Add the taco seasoning, black beans, corn, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, and pasta. Stir and sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
- Cover and allow to simmer, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes or until pasta is done to your likeness. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in the avocado and serve topped with shredded cheese, if desired.