This flavorful green bean casserole uses fresh green beans and no canned soup! Make it with mushrooms or without, this is a delicious made-from-scratch version of a favorite holiday side dish.
- 2lbs fresh green beans, rinsed, ends removed
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz white mushrooms, rinsed and chopped small (can leave these out)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 TBS all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup seasoned croutons (or more), broken into smaller pieces
- Preheat oven to 375F. Fill a large pot with enough water to hold the beans - salt the water generously. Bring to a full boil and add the beans. Boil for 7 minutes.
- While the beans are boiling, place a colander in the sink and prepare a large bowl with ice water. When the beans have boiled, drain in colander and then immediately transfer to the ice bath. Let them sit there for a minute and then drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onions. Cook until softened and fragrant, and then add the garlic mushrooms and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Sprinkle on the flour and mix until a thick paste forms. Add the chicken broth and whisk to break up lumps. Add the milk, a few shakes of salt and pepper, and the Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook, whisking frequently to break up lumps, until the mixture has thickened slightly. Taste (careful, it's hot) and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish and add the drained beans and thickened mixture to the dish. Stir to coat the beans. Top dish with broken up croutons.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
If you don't like mushrooms, you can leave them out!
Make sure to taste the roux and adjust the seasonings as needed to make sure your dish comes out with plenty of flavor.
I used garlic and parmesan seasoned croutons when testing this recipe.
The beans in this recipe are meant to have a bit of "bite" left to them so they will not be as soft as the casseroles using canned beans. If you prefer your beans softer, boil them a little longer during step 1.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
- Serving Size: 1/10th of recipe
- Calories: 105
- Sugar: 3.5g
- Sodium: 405mg
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrates: 13.8g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
Keywords: side dish, green bean casserole, no canned soup