- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Crisco or other vegetable shortening
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Wilton no-color butter flavoring (see notes)
- 1 tsp Wilton no-color vanilla flavoring (see notes)
- Pinch of salt, to taste
- 1-3 TBS heavy cream or half and half, to thin.
- Place room temperature butter and Crisco into a mixing bowl and using a hand or stand mixer, mix until smooth and fluffy. Start adding in the powdered sugar a little at a time, keeping the mixer speed low to prevent messes. Stop at 3 cups of powdered sugar and if your frosting is too thin for your needs, add a little more a bit at a time until desired consistency.
- Add in both flavorings and a small pinch of salt and mix until combined. The purpose of the salt is to cut the sweetness of the frosting a bit, so start out with just a very small amount and then taste and add more as needed.
- If your frosting is too thick, add heavy cream or half and half 1 TBS at a time, mixing well after each one. If you accidentally make your frosting too thin, you can add more powdered sugar a little at a time.
If you want a pure white buttercream, you'll need to use the colorless butter and vanilla flavorings, which are usually imitation. If you want a more natural flavor and don't care if your frosting isn't pure white, use pure vanilla extract and natural butter flavoring.
- Prep Time: 5 mins