Enjoy a tropical twist on a favorite summer cookout side dish, this coleslaw is sweetened with crushed pineapple and gets a bit of extra tang from apple cider vinegar.
- 10 ounce bag of coleslaw mix (or 4 cups shredded cabbage and carrot mix)
- 2 TBS chopped cilantro
- 1 15-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix together apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise, cilantro, and a few shakes of salt.
- In a large serving bowl or Tupperware style storage container, mix the pineapple with the coleslaw mix and chopped cilantro.
- Pour dressing over the coleslaw mix and toss to combine. Add several turns of black pepper to the top. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed (see notes)
- For best result, let sit in the fridge for a few hours to allow flavors to meld, though coleslaw is best eaten the same day.
If you want extra sweetness, add some brown sugar a teaspoon at a time, tasting after each addition. Alternatively, you can add a tablespoon or so of the pineapple juice from the can.
If you need more tang, add extra apple cider vinegar a teaspoon at a time.
Serve with barbecue chicken, pulled pork BBQ sandwiches, or pretty much any summer cookout main dish.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: N/A
- Category: Side dish