This is a super fudgy and chocolatey zucchini bread with lots of hidden, healthy ingredients inside. A great step up from most sweet breads for those who are making minor healthy swaps in their favorite recipes.
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS oat flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBS whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, heaping
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar or cup-for-cup sugar substitute
- 1 cup grated zucchini, packed
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 TBS pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour a 9x5 pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer, stir together both flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Add the zucchini, yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Mix until a moist dough forms and ingredients are just combined. It will seem dry at first when you start mixing, but I promise it will come together. An electric mixer will help.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth out the top. Add chocolate chips to the top of the batter.
- Bake on center rack for 35 minutes. Turn off the oven - do not open the door - and let the bread sit in the oven for an extra 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let bread cool completely. Run a knife around the edge before attempting to remove from pan. Cut into slices.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Serve cold, room temperature, or warmed in the microwave for a few seconds. Pro-tip: This bread tastes even better the second day!!
More finely grated zucchini will "hide" better in the bread. You can pulse it a few times in a food processor or use a knife to give the grated zucchini a few chops.
If you use a sugar substitute, use a dry cup-for-cup measure variety such as Stevia "baker's bag" etc.
You can use regular or Greek yogurt and both will work fine. You can use vanilla-flavored as well!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: zucchini bread, healthier recipes, hidden veggies, sweet bread, quick bread