- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped smaller (you can also use 8oz fresh button mushrooms)
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder (add an extra tsp if you like it more spicy)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 whole wheat buns or low-carb tortillas
- Extra onions, baby spinach, lettuce, or cheese for topping - optional
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the ground turkey until no pink remains, breaking it apart into little pieces with the spatula as it cooks.
- Add the onions and the mushrooms and cook until the onions are softened, 5-6 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and tomato paste and stir until the paste and broth are combined.
- Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook for an additional 15-20 minutes to allow the flavor to develop. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve on whole wheat buns or wrapped in low carb tortillas, topped and dressed as desired