- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp good vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter extract, optional for extra "cake" flavor
- 2/3 cup (heaping) butter cake mix
- 5 egg yolks
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a second bowl, add one cup of the heavy cream and place a strainer on top.
- In a saucepan on medium-low heat, combine whole milk, remaining 1 cup of heavy cream, sugar, salt, vanilla, butter extract (if desired), and cake mix. Cook, stirring frequently until smooth until heated through and just starting to steam.
- While constantly whisking the yolks, drizzle a quarter of the hot mixture into the yolks. Then pour the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan. Cook until thickened - mixture should coat the back of a spoon when dipped.
- Pour hot liquid through the mesh strainer into the cold heavy cream. Cool over an ice bath and then cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn ice cream according to manufacturer's directions. In the last few minutes of churning, add sprinkles. Transfer to freezer container and freeze until desired consistency is reached.