A luxuriously creamy homemade vanilla pudding that's rich in flavor yet simple to prepare. You'll be ruined for instant box pudding!
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 large egg yolks*
- 1 TBS pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat the milk to steaming. While the milk is heating, use a second bowl and mix together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the egg yolks until a paste forms.
- Drizzle about a cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture while whisking constantly, and then pour the new mixture back into the saucepan. Heat, while stirring constantly, until bubbles begin to break on the surface, but before the mixture reaches a full boil. Lower heat if needed and continue cooking for an extra 2-3 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken and take on a pudding-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and the butter until fully combined. Immediately pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove any lumps. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down directly onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Give the pudding a whisk before serving. Add any toppings you like, such as whipped cream, M&M candies, chocolate chips, crushed Nilla wafers, etc.
Save the whites for egg white omelets, white cake, or angel food cake batters!