These easy 5-ingredient honey balls are dusted with powdered sugar (cuts down on the stickiness) and can be made in any shape or size that you need.
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a medium saucepan, add sugar and water. Set over medium low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves, then add lemon or lime juice and honey.
- Fit pan with a candy thermometer and increase heat to medium high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches Hard Crack stage, about 300F. Mixture will look bubbly and foamy.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for just a minute or two, stirring to let the bubbles calm down. Use a tablespoon or 1/4 cup measuring cup to pour hot mixture into candy molds. Let set up completely, about 2 hours.
- Dust with powdered sugar to keep the candy from sticking together. They will continue to be sticky after sitting out for a while, so store leftovers in the refrigerator to keep them nice and neat.
Yield will vary depending on the size of the cavities in the candy mold that you use. I used this silicone mold with over 400 1/2-inch cavities. Because these candies are intensely sweet, I find that the smaller cavities work well.
Honey and citrus can be soothing for colds and sore throats, so these honey balls are fantastic when used as a throat lozenge.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Candy
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: outlander, copycat, pop culture, homemade candy, lemon, lime, honey