- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 TBS vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- 1 TBS vodka, optional (see notes)
- 1/2 cup honey
- In a heavy bottom pan over medium heat, add the cream and salt and heat until steaming and a slight skin forms on surface, but do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and add the milk and vanilla, mixing well. Allow to come to room temperature, and then chill in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours, or overnight.
- When the mixture is well-chilled, stir in the vodka (if using) and churn in ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions. About 5 minutes into the churning process, drizzle in the honey.
- Once done, transfer freshly-churned ice cream into a freezer safe container and freeze until solid.
A good quality paste or extract works equally well in this recipe, but the paste will give you a lovely speckled vanilla bean appearance.
Make sure the heavy cream you use is at least 36% milk fat. Since there are no eggs in this recipe, it will need the extra fat for thickness and creaminess. Avoid using low fat milk instead of whole milk.
The vodka will lower the freezing point of this ice cream and make it not freeze so hard, as well as prevent excess crystallization. It will not change the flavor of the ice cream, but if you're not into adding any bit of alcohol, you can leave it out.