- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese, plus extra
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Leftover sliced turkey, white or dark meat
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 4-5 thick slices of Italian bread
- 4-5 slices of bacon, cooked crispy
- Smoked paprika and parsley, for garnish
- First, make the sauce. In a 2-quart pan, melt the butter on medium-low heat and whisk in the flour until a paste forms. Add the milk and increase the heat to medium, whisking to remove any lumps. When the sauce is simmering, remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted and smooth. Add the pinch of nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350F. On a baking sheet, place the slices of bread and top with turkey. Layer slices of tomato on top of the turkey and then pour the sauce over each one. Top with extra sprinkle of cheese and then bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with bacon and, if desired, extra cheese, smoked paprika, and parsley. Serve warm.