Traditional Greek butter cookies twisted into a fun shape and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbs juice from one orange
- 3 cups flour, sifted then measured (spoon into cup then level off with knife)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- raw sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar for several minutes until the mixture is pale yellow and fluffy.
- Separate one egg and reserve the yolk.
- Add remaining whole egg, egg white and the orange juice and beat well.
- In a second bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients slowly.
- Mix until dough is smooth.
- Pinch off one to one and a half inch balls and roll into a rope and then twist the ends together (follow photos above).
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet 1.5 inches apart.
- Beat together remaining egg yolk with a couple tablespoons of water. Brush onto cookies.
- Lightly sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Category: Dessert