- 1 lemon cake mix (18.25 ounces, see notes)
- 2 1/4 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed (see notes)
- 1 large egg
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Confectioner's sugar
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer and combine the cake mix, frozen whipped topping, egg, lime zest and juice.
- Use a nonstick spatula and scrape down the sides and gather the dough into the center of the bowl - it will be very sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Drop teaspoon sized balls of dough into a bowl of confectioner's sugar and roll it around with a fork or spoon. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden and the sugar should have a crackled appearance. Allow to cool on the sheets for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining dough, making sure to use fully-cooled baking sheets with each new batch, and return the dough to the refrigerator when not working with it to keep it chilled.
If you can only find the 15.25 oz cake mixes, add the following: 5 TBS all-purpose flour, 1/8 tsp baking powder, and a teeny pinch of baking soda.
I used a Betty Crocker Delights Super Moist Lemon Cake Mix
If you aren't thrilled with the ingredients list in typical whipped topping (like Cool Whip), try TruWhip! Much better ingredient profile and its not as sickly sweet. You can find it in most regular grocery stores.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 11 mins