These biscuits are lower calorie and almost zero fat, but still have the tangy flavor of traditional buttermilk biscuits. They're so good you'll wonder how they are so much lighter!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and level, do not pack)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 TBS skim milk
- Preheat oven to 425F. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the Greek yogurt and stir until mostly combined. Add the milk, stir, and then use clean hands to finish mixing the ingredients. Use a light hand and do not overwork the dough. Stop mixing when a tacky dough has formed.
- Lightly flour a surface and place the dough onto it. With lightly floured hands, gently press the dough out into a disk 3/4" tall.
- Use a floured biscuit cutter to cut biscuits. Do not twist the cutter when cutting the biscuits, just press straight down and then pull the cutter straight out.
- Place biscuits on the pan, making sure the sides of the biscuits touch each other.
- Gather up the remaining dough scraps, gently press out into a new disk, and cut more biscuits. I got 18 biscuits with a 2-inch cutter. Repeat step 5.
- Bake for 8-11 minutes or until biscuits are golden. Oven times vary, so please check early and often to avoid over-browning.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Serve with my delicious turkey sausage gravy!
If the dough is too dry, you may add extra milk a teaspoon or two at a time as needed.
It is very important not to overmix or over work the dough. I don't recommend using a rolling pin - gently pressing out the dough into a disk is better. Dough that has been overworked will result in flat and/or tough biscuits.
You can make larger biscuits if you want, but be aware that the nutritional info per biscuit will change.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Serving Size: 1 biscuit
- Calories: 58
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Sodium: 71mg
- Fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.8mg
Keywords: biscuits, lower calorie, low fat, breakfast