This cheesy breakfast casserole has tons of protein and is loaded with colorful veggies. Perfect for keto or low carb diets or anyone who wants an easy and filling breakfast casserole recipe.
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup white button mushrooms, rinsed and chopped (can use jarred mushrooms, drained)
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 TBS dried parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks. Use a slotted spoon to remove sausage to a bowl. Drain out all but about 2 tsp of the sausage grease.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook until softened. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add in half of the cheddar cheese, the dried parsley, and stir.
- Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Add the sausage and vegetable mixture to the dish. Add the egg mixture and stir lightly. Top with the remaining cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until eggs are set and cheese is melted. Slice and serve warm.
You can use heavy cream instead of milk (nutritional info will change)
Vary the vegetables as you see fit! You can use multiple colors of bell peppers, leave out the mushrooms, add blanched chopped broccoli or spinach, etc.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Entree
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
- Serving Size: 1/12 of recipe
- Calories: 199
- Sugar: 1.6g
- Sodium: 542mg
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 2.8g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
Keywords: breakfast casserole, low carb, keto, eggs, cheese, sausage