- 10-12 pieces of Texas Toast or similar thick white bread
- 1 pint good quality vanilla ice cream*
- Butter, maple syrup, and/or fresh fruit for topping
- In a shallow saucepan with a wide bottom, melt the entire pint of ice cream over low heat. Don't allow the ice cream to boil.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or griddle pan on medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Dip both sides of the toast into the melted ice cream mixture and immediately place onto the skillet or griddle. Cook on one side until desired toasty-ness, and then flip the slices and brown the other side.
- Serve warm with your choice of topping such as butter, maple syrup, or fresh fruit.
* Look for a vanilla ice cream that has eggs or egg yolks in the ingredients list for the most authentic "French toast" flavor.