- 8 slices (1/4 or 1/2 inch slices, whichever you prefer) French bread
- Honey mustard for spreading
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, separated into halves
- 8 slices deli ham
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Raspberry or strawberry jam for serving
- Spread each slice of French bread with a thin layer of honey mustard. Top 4 slices with a 1/2 slice of Swiss cheese, 2 slices of ham, and then a second 1/2 slice of Swiss cheese. Place remaining slices of bread on top to create 4 sandwiches.
- In a bowl, beat together the egg, milk, and nutmeg.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Dip each side of sandwiches into the egg mixture, holding it there for a good 5 seconds to get a good soak.
- Place sandwiches into skillet and toast both sides until desired crispness.
- Serve with a very light dusting of powdered sugar and a raspberry or strawberry jam.