Ready in two minutes, this vanilla mug cake is topped with a crumbled chocolate chip protein cookie and is a great high protein dessert or snack. Customizable to fit your tastes!
- 1 large egg
- 3 TBS unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop (31g) vanilla protein powder
- 1 TBS all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tiny pinch of salt
- 1 TBS Swerve Brown sugar substitute (or you can use regular brown sugar)
- 1/2 chocolate chip protein cookie or protein bar, crumbled.
- In a large mug, add the egg and whisk. Scoop out 1 TBS + 1 tsp of the egg and discard.
- Add the milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the protein powder, flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar substitute and mix gently until just combined - do not overmix.
- Microwave on high for 50-60 seconds until just set, being careful not to overheat as this will cause a tough cake. The cake will rise above the mug as it bakes but it will settle down once you take it out of the microwave. The cake will NOT brown, so don't use color as a test of doneness. Touch the top of the cake with your fingers. If it's not doughy and is slightly springy, it is done.
- Use a fork to break apart the top of the cake and add the crumbled cookie (or other desired toppings) while still warm. Enjoy.
Half of the egg is removed from the batter to help with the spongy texture that is notorious in most mug cakes. If you think about it, sometimes entire cake or cookie recipes use only a couple of eggs, so using an entire egg in one little mug cake is quite a lot! I know it's a fussy step, but it will improve your cake.
Take care to be gentle when mixing the batter, as overmixing will cause a tougher cake. Also, be sure to remove the cake from the microwave as soon as it's done to avoid overbaking.
Please see the contents of the blog post for substitutions, flavor variations, and other tips!
NUTRITION FACTS NOTE: The nutritional estimates listed below are for the mug cake only BEFORE any toppings (protein cookie, nut butters, chocolate chips, etc) are added. I did it this way so that you can change up your toppings and add the info to your nutritional facts for your own logs.
- Prep Time: 1 min
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Serving Size: 1 mug
- Calories: 240
- Sugar: 2.4g
- Sodium: 301mg
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 164mg
Keywords: high protein, lower carb, mug cake, dessert for one