These tasty muffins use healthy ingredients and are full of pumpkin pie flavor - great for breakfast or an anytime treat!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup pumpkin spice protein powder (can also use vanilla)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (increase to 1 tsp if using vanilla protein)
- Small pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate protein bar, chopped into small pieces OR dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a standard muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, egg, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, protein powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and black pepper.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 3 additions, mixing after each one, until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the protein bar pieces or dark chocolate chips (reserve some of the chocolate for the top if you want pretty muffins). Distribute the batter evenly in the prepared muffin tin and top with reserved chocolate.
- Bake on center rack for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes and then carefully remove from pan and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm with a smear of butter or enjoy at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Oven
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 102
- Sugar: 8.1g
- Sodium: 225mg
- Fat: 1.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrates: 17.4g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
Keywords: high protein, pumpkin, fall, muffins, breakfast