Comforting hearty chicken noodle soup that comes together quickly and uses my favorite egg noodles.
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 48 oz box (6 cups) low sodium chicken broth
- 12 oz egg noodles (I use Reames frozen egg noodles)
- 1 12oz bag frozen peas and carrots mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Pinch of ground thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (use both white and dark meat)
- Melt the butter in a 4-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for several minutes until the onions are soft and fragrant.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and immediately pour in the milk. Use a whisk to incorporate the flour as best you can to remove lumps (it's ok if there's a few lumps, they'll loosen up)
- Add all of the chicken broth and continue stirring with the whisk to break up any remaining lumps of flour.
- Add the bay leaf, parsley, thyme, a big pinch of salt and a few twists of black pepper. Bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Pour in the frozen noodles and frozen peas and carrots. Return mixture to a good simmer, cover, and allow to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Discard the bay leaf and add the cooked shredded chicken to the pot.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes until chicken is heated through. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, or any other seasonings to suit your preferences.
- You can use any kind of milk, including non-dairy varieties.
- Reames are my favorite egg noodles for soup and can be found in the frozen section of most grocery stores. You can use dry egg noodles as well.
- Fresh carrots or peas can be used instead of frozen, use a scant cup of each.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: easy dinner, soup, chicken, egg noodles