An easy red, white, and blue poke cake that's moist, delicious, and incredibly pretty! Perfect for Memorial Day or 4th of July.
- 1 white cake mix, plus required ingredients on box
- 3 TBS red Jello powder (half of a 3-ounce box) + 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 TBS blue Jello powder (half of a 3-ounce box) + 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 8oz container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Patriotic sprinkles or decorations of choice
- Follow the instructions on your cake mix box for a 9x13 pan and bake the cake.
- Let the cake cool for several minutes, and when it is still warm use the handle of a wooden spoon (or something about 1/2" in diameter) and poke holes all over the cake. Use photos as a guide.
- Mix 3 TBS of red Jello powder with 1/2 cup of boiling water and stir until all of the powder has dissolved. Cool for a few minutes. Pour red liquid into every other row of holes. (see notes)
- Repeat step 3 with blue Jello.
- Cover the cake and refrigerate for a couple of hours or until chilled.
- Frost the cake with the thawed whipped topping and decorate as desired using patriotic sprinkles, etc.
- Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.
I use Duncan Hines white cake mix and find it tastes the best (just my preference)
When poking holes, keep a napkin nearby and wipe off the handle (or whatever you're using) after each poke to keep it clean of cake crumbles. This will help to create cleaner holes.
You will not fill the holes with liquid when pouring in the Jello - you just want enough to coat the sides of the holes so that the color seeps into the cake. If you try filling the holes, you will run out of liquid before you fill all of the holes. I recommend pouring in just a little at a time and then going back and giving the holes a "top off" if it looks like the edges are still white.
If you don't like using Cool Whip frozen whipped topping, try TruWhip for more natural ingredients (I love that stuff - not sponsored!)
Some sprinkles will bleed color onto the whipped topping. If making for a party, don't add the sprinkles until just before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 28 minutes baking + 2 hours to chill
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: patriotic, red white and blue, memorial day, 4th of july, poke cake